One Month, One Mission strives to unite those in need with those who have, whether we are in the same community or miles apart. Every month we post a new mission; every month we witness the power of human connection and goodwill.

October 4, 2009

Ready or Not, Here We Come!

A few weeks ago, my two children and I walked through the grocery store, carefully picking out food to give to the local food pantry, one box of mac & cheese and can of princess-shaped noodle soup at a time (the kids got to pick!).  Each of them have saved part of the random coins that feed their piggy bank every few days, and with a grand total of $24 and change between them, we proudly filled a paper grocery-bag full of kid-selected, yet nutritious food for the hungry in our city.  We walked up and down the check-out lobby, unable to find the donation barrel.  Upon asking a manager where the donation barrel was, we were told they are only out "at the holidays".  I was dumbfounded.

The rest of the day I couldn't stop thinking about how many people WANT to give, how many people NEED what we have to give, and the chasm between the two.  That night, I woke up with the idea of, what if, just what if, I could help facilitate a link between those in need and those who have - and not just at the holidays, but all year long. 

Over the past few weeks, I've taken baby steps towards starting this blog, letting self-doubts about my knowledge of blogging (or lack thereof) and my own abilities to get these ideas off the ground get in the way of actually launching the blog.  Well, after another restless night waking up thinking about this blog, I decided, it's now or never. 

So here it is.  One Month, One Mission.  If we can even make one human connection between someone in need and someone who has enough to share, then I will consider this blog a success.  Thanks for joining me in my mission today - and please, send me any comments along the way!

xo
Susie

No comments:

Post a Comment