One Month, One Mission strives to unite those in need with those who have, whether we are in the same community or miles apart. Every month we post a new mission; every month we witness the power of human connection and goodwill.

January 17, 2010

January Mission Update

Well, I had the January Mission all planned out.  Here was Plan A: Every year during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, much attention is paid to many and varied charities.  Like retailers, many charities receive most of their monies during these last months of the year.  So for January, I had planned to try to wrap-up the wish-list of one of our local non-profits.  There is such a drop-off in donations come January that I thought we could help fill a few of these gaps.
However...
I have been learning a lot these past few months.  Of those being to just jump in and also to go with the flow.  To make a long story longer, both my community service efforts here and my hard work on my jewelry business, in October, November, and December, resulted in wonderful successes.  We were able to make a difference in the lives of those without adequate footwear, those serving our country abroad, and the youngest among us suffering from childhood cancer.  With my jewelry designs, I was also was able to find my creative voice, which was seen in print, online, and even on TV this past fall. 
However...
Even though this all sounds wonderful, and it is wonderful, it didn't come without a price.  My health and my kids and husband were often not made priority.  Yet actually, they, along with my faith, deserve to be my Priority Number One.  So, I would be a fool not to recognize this unbalance, and even more of a fool not to do something about it.  So I'm not just clearing time for them - I'm redirecting my extra efforts to them. Huh? Basically, all that extra effort I put into my jewelry and community service efforts, I'm going to be putting into making the days of my family a little happier.  Now that all the craziness that can be the holidays is over, perhaps we can all use a little extra time and effort to reconnect with those that are closest to us.  ❤
  
Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do... but how much love we put in that action.
~ Mother Teresa

Love begins by taking care of the closest ones - the ones at home.
~Mother Teresa

See you soon in February with a brand new mission and a Valentine's Giveaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment